Monday 27 January 2014

Still Buzzing

The week has flown by as usual and no progress on my
planned novel for this year, but only because of the project I have been
working on lately. I thought I might launch a new website to coincide with this
and was intrigued by the Wix.com adverts on national TV. I shouldn’t have
bothered because it never works out the way you think. The website domain name
would have included my user name which Wix decided would be mpmick0, goodness
knows why. This preceded Wix.com, and my name was attached at the rear. When it
came to uploading an image file, it couldn’t handle the small size. Enlarging
the image was a waste of time too because it lost focus. I tried addressing the
problem using Paint, but that didn’t work either. There were other, niggling
issues which are largely down to the fact that when someone designs something,
it becomes difficult to interpret by the unenlightened: me in particular. After
a fruitless waste of time in front of my laptop, I decided to give up and ask
my son to revamp my main website (www.michaeljparker.com)
Another technical hitch occurred but not with Wix. I
uploaded an html file after using Amazon’s ‘Build Your Kindle Book’ for my
first, self-published book (not a novel). There was a problem with the font
size in one chapter, which I decided was down to me. I went back to the html
file but could not see why the error had occurred, even when using the
‘show/hide’ paragraph code. I uploaded the file again but with the same result:
a font change in part of chapter 3. Back to the html file and I thought I could
see a problem: the codes were shown in a large font size in the same places
where the errors occurred. I addressed that problem and uploaded again. No
change. Back to the html file and I reloaded the entire chapter from my
original word doc, making sure that the font sizes were correct. Still no
change. But here’s the rub: the errors don’t show on my Kindle Fire tablet;
only on the ‘Look Inside’ facility on Amazon’s book page and also on my Windows
8 laptop. I’ve sent a message to Amazon support and hope they can explain why
this is happening and how it can be resolved. Anyone taking a look inside will
see the sudden change in font and assume I haven’t prepared the file correctly.
It’s a rum one.


On the health front my Cat scan revealed that the
tumours are shrinking (two have disappeared), so progress is being made. I’m
back on chemo tomorrow and expect the same progress to be made. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment