Monday 8 September 2014

PC, Proofs and Publicity

I’m back with Andy MacNab after wasting time on other
‘polished’ thriller writers. MacNab’s writing is so clever that you forget that
he was basically a foot soldier who we tend to regard as brawn over brains. But
taking into consideration the considerable skills and bravery required to be a
member of the Special Forces (SAS), it makes you realise just how clever these
men are. With MacNab, he has added powerful storytelling to his CV. Imbedded in
his writing is the colloquial, non PC jargon of servicemen and women, probably
the world over; and it sits very comfortably with his style. I’ve just finished
Firewall and am now reading Aggressor. I have read two of his other titles.
I mention the non PC writing because the editor of my
next novel, Past Imperfect, took exception to the descriptions I used when referring
to a black character of West Indian origin in my book. Black skin, white teeth
in the dark kind of stuff. I was told that in today’s PC climate it would
probably be better to come up with another choice of words so as not to give
offence. I had no argument against that because changing a couple of phrases didn’t
impact on the story. But if I had been one of my publisher’s top authors,
someone like Andy MacNab, would it have made any difference? I don’t think I
would have been asked to change anything.
I’ve done virtually no work on my current WIP since my
last blog, and, no, I can’t blame Andy MacNab; it’s more to do with learning to
improve my social networking skills. I am currently learning a little more about
Pinterest and how to make good use of it. I still have a problem appreciating
just how powerful it can be, and do ask myself why isn’t everybody else on it
if it’s that good. But I’ll try. At least I have learned a new skill, and that
is making bookmark sized quotes for pinning. All I need to do now is find the
right targets. Ironically, I dismissed a young lady author several months ago
who explained on her website how she had made huge sales of her books simply by
using Pinterest. She explained how and offered to help anyone who was
interested. I couldn’t be bothered: for me it was just another Amanda Hocking
success story that only happens to the few. Perhaps I should have taken more
notice.
I did play around with my website (www.michaelparkerbooks.com),
looking to see if I could improve its appearance and attractiveness. Perhaps
give it a bit of zap. But that will come in time.
As we get closer to leaving Spain (three weeks today),
so my days are getting fuller leaving me little time to work on WIPs and social
networks. My wife is very busy arranging our ‘going away party’ at church (this
Wednesday), and naturally I am involved. She is doing the bulk of the planning
and cooking, while I chauffer her around and generally act as a sounding board
and general dogs body when needed. She feeds me too! We have different lunches
planned (too many for the waistline really), appointments to keep and important
processes to remember. The calendar is just about full and that more or less
puts paid to creative pursuits like writing and social networking. But why am I
keeping up with this blog? Well, it’s in the hope that one day someone other
than a spammer will read it and make a comment. It would be inspiring to know
that there are followers out there, even if it’s only a few.
My book sales are maintaining their one a day average,
which I have to admit is promising. Maybe one day I’ll have them up to two a
day. Then I’ll get really excited. If they went stratospheric I think I’d go
pop.


Oh yes; another strange one for me. My publisher
contacted me last week to say that the proofs would be sent to my West Sussex address
(we haven’t got there yet) and could I return them reasonably quickly. I had to
remind them that we haven’t moved yet, so in the end it was agreed to send the
proofs once we are back in UK. But physical proofs? I used to get galley proofs
years ago, but for a long while now it has been digital proofs, PDF style. I
must admit I prefer the idea of a physical copy; it makes it seem nearer the
day. So, something to look forward to on my return. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment