Saturday 21 March 2015

Getting over hurdles

March 21, 2015
As each week passes, I
find myself thinking what an eventful week it has been. But I suppose we can
all say that about our week. I did manage to pass one milestone in my promotion
and marketing efforts; and that was the opening of an e-mailing list. I always
assumed (stupidly) that subscription lists were for the prolific authors: those
who knocked out several books a year, but I have learned a great deal more
about the way forward. My biggest problem was setting up an e-mail list with
MailChimp and putting in place something to attract readers to my list. After
several doomed efforts and staring vacantly at my screen, I was able,
eventually, to put a service into place. I used two of my sons as guinea pigs;
just to ensure I had everything right, and I can now boast of actually having
people signing up. It’s a great feeling, and I need to make sure that I don’t
spoil everything by going overboard and bombarding my subscribers with e-mails.
One of the first steps I have taken is to include a page at the front and back
of my permafree book, The Eagle’s
Covenant
, asking readers to subscribe. In return for this I am offering a
free copy of another of my books, The
Devil’s Trinity
. Anyone can download the book and unsubscribe immediately
if they want, but I’m hoping they will wait and see what other offers I come up
with. At the moment I am in the process of securing seven of my titles. These
will all eventually be on-line under my name (as publisher), which will give me
control over pricing etc. I intend, from time to time, to drop the prices and
offer them to my subscribers. There will be other tid-bits of course, but what
I will not do is plague the lives out of people. I will also be posting the
subscription link wherever I can in the hope that I can build my list. And for
anyone reading this blog who might be interested, here’s the link:
http://eepurl.com/bgYKMj
The important thing for
me is to persuade potential readers that I have a genuine talent for writing
thrillers and action stories. But no-one is going to believe the self-hype of a
writer, and the only way I can convince people is to offer them a chance to
read some of my stuff for free.
I will also let my
readers know how close I am to completing my next book. At the moment I have
had to shelve it so that I could establish a route into the marketing world;
something that has been beyond me. I hope to pick up my novel again fairly
soon, and, providing I don’t find any other excuses, I will do my level best to
have it ready before the end of summer. And one thing is certain: I will be
giving my subscribers an opportunity to purchase the book at an introductory
low price.
One of the biggest
hurdles for a writer like me is cracking the American market. I’ve seen reviews
of my books (not too many, I must admit) where the complaint is that I’m an
English writer writing about things American. I can understand that, but then
the review is about me rather than the content of the book. I never have a
problem reading American authors and their colloquialisms, the American
spelling etc. Let’s face it: we’ve been brought up on a diet of Hollywood and
American writers, so it doesn’t faze us. But not all my books are set in
America. Anyone looking at my author page on Amazon (
http://amzn.to/1FTqgOx) will see there is quite a
variety.


So, why not sign up, pick
up a free book and hang in there for the ride? It could be fun. Hopefully my
e-mail list will grow. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment