Sunday 22 November 2015

Days and times to remember

November 22, 2015

I’ve just typed the date in and realised it’s the day my
father died in 1955. (22-11-55). I was fourteen at the time. I sometimes wonder
what affect it had on me as a teenager. I do remember one night, it was late,
and me and my mates were slowly making our way home from somewhere, when one of
them said: “My old man will kill me when I get home.” My immediate thought was
that I had no “old man” to go home to. I know my time at school was affected by
his death because I went downhill, academically, after that. Got into a lot of
trouble along with the bunch of school mates I hung around with. We were always
getting caned by the headmaster. I dropped four class grades from A down to D.
I wanted to leave school so I could help my mum with the finances, but the
headmaster talked her out of it. So I stayed on and failed all my GCE exams,
leaving school with no prospects and little to offer any employer when it came
to brains. But like a lot of youngsters, the brains were there: they just
needed stimulation. I found that in reading and writing. It’s a great way to
educate yourself, particularly if you can learn from life’s experiences too.
And so I went on to become a happily married man with a lovely wife, four sons,
ten grandchildren, two great-grandchildren and a writing hobby that has so far
produced ten books. I have not achieved financial success through my writing,
but success is not necessarily measured in financial rewards. When I look back
over the last twelve months, my writing has occupied a great deal of my time
and brought me a lot of pleasure. There has been some angst in there too, with
which my wife would agree, but as we approach the end of the year, I believe I
can see a clearer path for my books.
Last week I enjoyed the CHINDI writers’ OBL at Chichester
and know that we have events in the pipeline for next year. I have almost
mastered the art of self-publishing. By that I mean the submission of book
jackets and interior files to Amazon etc. I don’t have the artistic skills to
create dazzling jackets, but I can accomplish an element of creativity by perseverance
and unlocking the potential I had as a sixteen year old leaving school. Failing
that I can always twist my son’s arm and get him to do the jackets for me.
Last week I wrote a piece here about Kindle Scout. I felt
inspired but since then have come to realise it’s a little bit of a sales pitch
from Amazon and certainly akin to a lottery. The more tickets you buy (the more
nominations you get), the better the chance of winning the prize. I have read
of a couple of authors who are treating it as a massive campaign. One writer is
throwing the equivalent of a web party every day just to increase her chances
of getting a result. Me? I’m letting my FB advert do most of the work for me,
although I am plugging it on Twitter and FB. Here too, by the way. So why not
nominate me? The link is —
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1TW0QYIN2N95B



Once my Kindle Scout campaign
has finished, I will set about launching the book (A Dangerous Game) if it hasn’t been taken up by Amazon. I’ll be
offering it to my subscribers at a launch price of $0.99 (£0.75) for about one
week before putting the price up to the standard $2.99. I will also be using
Facebook to advertise it. And I hope to have the paperback ready as well,
although the jacket design may take a little bit of time. Then it’s back to the
pen and the beginning of another thriller. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment