Wednesday 16 January 2013

Falling Behind


 

Falling behind again. Just when I think I have a firm plan, life gets in the way. It’s a good thing that my writing career is just a hobby; otherwise I would be in trouble. I’m in the process of revising SHADOW OF THE WOLF. The reason I’m doing that is because the book, which was published in 1984, is only 55,000 words in length. I feel that I would short change my readers if I published that on Amazon as it is. I would have to set a low price too, and from what I read about Amazon’s business plan, it sets its algorithms against low priced books. I’ve no idea if that’s true, but compared to the prices of my other books, I would probably have to set the price at almost a giveaway. The story is set during World War 2, which means it doesn’t have to be modern or topical. It’s almost historical in some aspects, and I am confident that I can expand it without taking away the strength of the novel. I have had people say it’s my best novel, but I always think the latest book my publisher accepts is my best: it means I still have a contract!

I also planned to develop a low key website, but I have been very lax in doing much to it. My son, the one who designed www.michaeljparker.com believes I should turn my attention to writing rather than web building. I think he’s right, but I’ll use my new site as a kind of a toy, hoping that one day it will be good enough to release on to the world. By that time I’ll probably have run out of enthusiasm. But once I have my revision out of the way, I will begin my latest novel which is set in Mexico and USA. I know how the book starts, but I have no idea yet how it will finish. Aren’t most writers like that? Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment