Monday 7 January 2013

Webs and Wars


I’m still having fun learning some of the finer points of website building, but it’s the easy bits I’m having trouble with. I am making progress and hope to shout to the world that I have launched my low key site. This is where I hope to highlight some of my books’ pages, maybe talk about my characters, and whatever else comes to mind. Meanwhile I still have a project to complete: the copying and conversion of my short novel, SHADOW OF THE WOLF. When this book was first published in 1984, some friends of mine at work thought it would be a good idea to make a video game out of it. We all got very enthusiastic about the idea and actually made some progress. In those days video games were in their infancy; nothing like the wiz-bang stuff of today. We planned to have a video case style game where the book nestled on one side and the game on the other. The idea was to play through the game and use the book for clues. At different points in the game there were ‘get me out of jail’ clues that pointed to certain pages of the book. The guys who were producing the game knew what they were doing, whereas I was more or less a keen bystander.  I can’t remember why we never reached production; perhaps the whole concept was way ahead of its time, and probably a little bit over our heads. But we had great fun while it lasted. Maybe now I will have the chance to see my book selling well once it has reached Amazon. The story is set during World War 2 on the remote island called North Cape, off the north coast of Scotland. The island was a whaling station, now defunct, and finds itself under German occupation for a brief period. The Germans are looking for the plans of the new British weapon, centimetric radar, which is having spectacular successes against the German Wolf packs. The plans were hidden there by a German agent who disappeared, and the Third Reich is keen to find the plans before the U-boats finally succumb, and the war is lost. Great fun! Hope you’ll all put that down in your diaries as one to watch out for. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment