Monday 26 March 2012

Getting it Right!

Just when you think you’re in front, something comes along and pulls you back. I’ve been battling with the Kindle version of NORTH SLOPE, trying to eradicate the mistakes that have been picked up by others. Having enjoyed tremendous, relative success, and riding the crest of a wave, I was a little crestfallen to realise my work needed editing again. You see, I believe the author has the final responsibility for the accuracy and content of his work, whether he has handed the final proofs over or not. Editing is an exacting task and best left to professionals, but having said that I still find mistakes in the best of books. So, I began the long struggle of re-creating a Kindle version of NORTH SLOPE. And that’s where it went wrong: for some reason I couldn’t open the file once I had completed the build with mobipocket. I had to involve two colleagues of mine with Acclaimed Books and eventually I ended up with a workable file for building. Then it all went to rats, as they say. But today, after sweating in front of my PC, I learned of the need to scrutinize carefully the html codes that can be seen in the text file. I found an error in a BODY code; just one stroke where it wasn’t needed. Took a bit of finding too. Now I have to carry on and re-edit the file so I can send it to Acclaimed Books for re-publishing on Amazon.

Apart from the angst of struggling with html codes, last Saturday Pat and I were at church during the afternoon for the Easter Fayre. Sunday afternoon we were at friends for lunch. This meant that I had little time to do battle with my Kindle. And this morning it was gardening.

Oh, and another thing: I had to read through THE BOY FROM BERLIN over the weekend to check for a few typos that had appeared in the book so that I could notify Harlequin. No doubt they will want their paperback imprint to be 100%. So do I! More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment