Monday 30 January 2012

Big Oak Trees From Little Acorns Grow

How little things can make you smile, eh? A few days ago I began to get interested in KDP/Select. I wondered if one of my Kindle books would do well or not. There were a lot of posts on the Kindle forum about this new project of Amazon’s and some of the results were staggering. The idea is that you put your e-book in Amazon’s Kindle library and allow them exclusivity. You also allow a five days period where your book can be downloaded free. The results I’ve seen on the forum suggested that there was a knock-on effect which resulted in high sales figures. I tried not to look at it from a cynical viewpoint, knowing that not everything in the garden is rosy, and there would probably be a dozen or more failures for every one good result. My next step was to persuade Pete who runs Acclaimed Books.com to put one of my Kindle novels on the Select programme. I can’t do this myself because Pete has overall control of book placement. There are six of us in the AB.c group, and I also wanted to persuade the others to give my suggestion the nod of approval. So, yesterday Pete put A COVERT WAR on the programme for me and suddenly my book has sold 27 in UK and 39 in USA overnight. When you think that my sales have been very, very poor, maybe one book a week, that’s really hot for me. So, although one swallow doesn’t make a summer, those little figures have brought a huge smile to my face. And I’m hoping they keep climbing. I’ll try and keep you posted with the results as Pete feeds them to me. Hopefully, people who download my book for free may be tempted to download my other two which are not in the programme. Time now for a reality check and to get on with some D-I-Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment