Monday 16 January 2012

Family Events.

It was a good birthday bash. Pat enjoyed being with her close friends and dining at her favourite restaurant. I didn’t let my hip problem spoil the event either. Altogether the day went down well. Four of our friends had travelled up from Andalucía and it looks like they have gone home to snow. Meanwhile here on the Costa Blanca the sun is still managing to shine (well, almost). This week would have been the point where we begin to settle down into our routines and I can get on with overcoming writer’s block and getting words down on paper. But (there’s always a ‘but’), this morning we had to go to a funeral, which put us a bit behind. Before that my appointment with the doctor meant another diversion (I’m on pills now), and now I’ve been dealing with catching up. By the time I’ve got through with that I won’t have enough time to write (or run out of excuses, maybe). Oh yes, before all that, me and Pat contacted our grandson, Jamie in Australia to wish him a happy, fourteenth birthday. He’d been in Sydney with his dad at the New South Wales swimming championships over the weekend. Jamie’s not a bad swimmer, but he got disqualified in one of his heats for moving on the blocks. His eldest brother, Sam is one of the fastest swimmers in Australia, and is now at Austen University in Texas on a swimming scholarship. Looks like Jamie is taking after his brother. Their mother, Lisa was a County class swimmer in her youth, so it runs in the family. No Olympics for Sam this year but keep an eye out in 2016 for Sam Parker!
Thursday I have an appointment at VIVA television studios to record a programme about e-books. Then on Sunday I’m over at Pilar de Horadada where I’ll be preaching at the local, English language Christian Fellowship. Afterwards Pat and I will be having lunch with the Pastor, Eddie and his wife Nesta. So life’s a ball really. All I have to do is quit making excuses and knuckle down to my work.
I’ve contacted a literary editor today asking her if she would have my latest novel reviewed (THE BOY FROM BERLIN). Last time I contacted her I didn’t even receive a reply saying yes or no. With e-mails these days it’s so easy to say no: simply send a reply with the word NO on it. Easy. Or as the Meerkat would say: ‘Simples!’ click.
I’ve decided to change much of my latest manuscript because I have come to the conclusion that it just doesn’t sit right the way it is. I hate dumping anything I’ve written, and this will be a pain because I’ve chalked up about 20,000 words. Obviously I won’t wipe it all out, but with a change in direction and involvement of the characters changing, it amounts to much the same thing. Maybe I’ll have it finished by the end of the year. We’ll see…….
Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment