Thursday 17 November 2011

Profiles

Most of us who write our own profiles probably wish we could have said a lot more, but then we could end up with a potted history of ourselves. I began writing my life story about eight years ago, but only got as far as my twenties. I hope one day to be able to pick it up again and carry on, bringing it up to where I am now. Someone might say why not do it now? But ironically I’m too busy writing! I often think back to where I began and where I am now. I was born in March 1941 at the end of the London Blitz. I can truthfully say I survived the blitz because my mother carried me in her pregnancy throughout that traumatic period. I went on to survive the bombing until the end of the war. But to survive for what? To raise four sons with my lovely wife, Pat and to bring pleasure to thousands with my writing. Does that sound pretentious? Maybe, but I know I have a following in the UK public libraries as my annual loans statement testifies. And it’s a satisfying thought, knowing that people actually enjoy reading my novels.
I was always pretty good at story telling as a child. Maybe I used that skill when trying to convince my parents that it was not me that dropped mum’s precious ornament; it was my big brother (he usually got the blame anyway). So tomorrow, Friday, I need to use my story telling skills in a different way and convince two people to take me on as a client using their promotion and marketing skills to sell my books. I’m on the point of releasing ROSELLI’S GOLD in UK as a POD paperback to go with my two other POD novels, NORTH SLOPE and A COVERT WAR. It will also be available in Kindle too. All this should happen before Christmas in time hopefully for friends, family and readers of good books to buy them as stocking fillers (hidden beneath the bikes, prams and X boxes).
I’ve just had a thought that maybe I should add something of my writing career to these blogs. Maybe a snippet of how I began, who I met, the mistakes I made, but I need to get my head straight first and figure out if that’s the kind of stuff that people want to read. And just as a taster, I remember one of my stories as a junior at Tranmere Road Junior School in Wandsworth, London. It was about a submarine that came out of a cave beneath a cliff. Can’t remember the ending though. Bet it was good! See you next week, God willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment