Saturday 8 October 2011

Busy, busy

Had a busy day yesterday; problems at church with an alarm system, then the phones started playing up. Had to make two trips down there but unsuccessful. Next week maybe? The trouble with unexpected problems is that they interfere with your plans, right? And that is the same with characters that creep into your fledgling story and insist that you take a different direction. I’m in the process of writing THE GATEKEEPER. This is a working title by the way, and I needed to transport one of my characters a thousand miles away so that I have him somewhere that would help lead me on to another, intrinsic part of the story. So I introduced the daughter of my main character’s boss, and had him accompany her on a plane journey to Mexico City. There was to be no other reason for the two of them to be together. Now I find that this woman, this Carmen, is demanding to be part of the story. And I can find a use for her too.
I had a smile on my face yesterday when I saw that Stephen Leather is now following me on Twitter. For those of you who haven’t read any of his thrillers, I urge you to do so now. He’s a terrific writer, has written twenty five novels and is probably in the top ten in my opinion. Maybe even higher. What can a man like that learn from someone like me? Who knows, but it’s nice to think he remembers me. I interviewed him recently on-line and will be publishing that interview on Acclaimed Books soon. Keep an eye out.

No comments:

Post a Comment